SEND Music Technology
Transformance Music iPad Project
We have come to the end of Phase 1 of the SEND iPad project, led by Ben Sellers - Associate Musician and Trainer at Drake Music and Peter, a Transformance Music facilitator with pupils at Nether Hall Special School. The project has been designed to engage with the highly diverse needs, strengths and musical tastes found in SEND schools offering pupils powerful new methods of playing, visualising, organising and manipulating music.
The project provided teachers with a 'toolbox' of ideas and techniques, enabling them to utilise technologies with confidence and creativity whilst working towards curriculum and individual attainment targets. Each teacher that has worked with Ben has a bank of written teaching ideas to continue the work that Ben has been doing with the pupils.
We have evaluated the project against the expected outcomes and the project has fully met all the following outcomes. However phase 2 has been planned to exceed our initial outcomes and we look forward to delivered the project in West Gate School.
- To give SEND pupils the opportunity to make music through the use of music tech
- To allow for a CPD opportunity for LSMS members of staff on teaching iPads with SEND pupils
- To have a project that could sustainably run out into further SEND settings over the following terms.
The Phase 1 project involved
- an observation day and meeting with teaching staff involved in the project.
- 5 x 1 hour sessions of composition and improvisation session with 8 SLD students.
- 5 x 6 half hour 'Explore' sessions with two PMLD students at a time.
This will be repeated for Phase 2.
Phase 3 of the project begins with a training day for all teaching staff who work in SEND schools in Leicester-Shire to developing their ability to use a 'toolbox' of technologies. The CPD will see the launch of a short series of videos that demonstrate the use of technology in response to a variety of needs and strengths which will be published online.
This phase continues as we work in other schools in Leicester-Shire in bespoke ways according to the schools needs. There are 3 options that schools have available.
- Teachers can request the 'toolbox' of ideas and techniques and lead the ipad work themselves
- LSMS can send in a SEND Music specialist to deliver a 1 day project in school and support teachers with using the technology in the 'toolkit' (There is a cost to the school)
- Schools can buy in the iPad project, delivered by a SEND Music Specialist (There is a cost to the school)
Please see the video and documents below for further information.
Video Resources (links to a Youtube Playlist)
For more information about this project or information about the training please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Music Technology Project in partnership with Soft Touch Arts
Soft Touch Arts, in collaboration with the Leicester-Shire Music Education Hub have just completed a fabulous 6-week project working with 13 students from Birkett House Seniors and Ellesmere college to create and record an album of their own compositions using both technology and conventional instruments and vocals. Students were able to get a hands-on studio experience, and results have been very positive.
Students were also involved in the creation of a short video explaining about the project, and their video testimonials clearly show their engagement, enjoyment and sense of pride in their work. Please see the film below.
Staff from the 2 schools have also given very positive feedback; '[The students] had an absolutely incredible time and got so much out of it'. Other strengths were 'fantastic staff, adapting learning to meet the students' needs', and 'watching students grow in confidence and self-esteem'.
As a continuation of this project Ellesmere College now have a regular session at Soft Touch. Three young people are continuing their placement as a direct result of this project.
If you are interested in this excellent project taking place in your school, please contact Sarah Share on email@example.com