OPEN CALL FOR D/dEAF and DISABLED ARTISTS FOR SPLASH!
Posted: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:23
- Are you a D/deaf or disabled artist who would like to develop their creative practice?
- Are you interested in forming a new East Midlands ensemble of D/deaf, disabled artists and non-disabled artists?
- Would you like to be part of a collaboration that leads to a fully accessible, inclusive new outdoor performance for all audiences?
- Are you passionate about including learning disabled children, young people, their families and friends in audiences for live performance?
If you have answered 'yes' to these questions, then you will want toread all about… Splash!
Splash! has been developed by the Splash! Consortium* who wish to recruit the Splash! Ensemble: a new, East Midlands based company of of D/deaf, disabled artists and non-disabled artists. The Splash! Ensemble will be employed on a two-year programme of professional development, community research, creative engagement and original performance: Splash!
Splash! will be developed in three phases:
10 - 14 September 2018 - a week long creative professional development residency. Attenborough Arts Centre, Leicester. Lead by artists from Diverse City and Extraordinary Bodies (Diverse City's partnership with Cirque Bijou) joined by arts practitioners from each member of of our SPLASH! consortium.
October 2018 - February 2019 - a six-month audience engagement programme.
Across 5 locations across the East Midlands - The City Splashes. The Splash! Ensemble will work with learning disabled children and young people and their families to generate interest in and stories about the canals and waterways of the East Midlands.
June - October 2019 - the Splash Commission: a new outdoor performance. Toured around five locations on the East Midlands waterways.
The commission is led by Diverse City and Extraordinary Bodies (Diverse City's partnership with Cirque Bijou) The commission brings together the Splash! Ensemble with other professional theatre and circus artists and community performers drawn from phase 2.
Are you Interested in applying to become a Splash! Artist?
If so, please email us an Expression of Interest (no more than 4 pages A4) describing:
• Your arts background and experience (this can include performing arts, visual arts, arts education, community arts, participatory arts, film etc). You can include any links to your website, examples of your work or other relevant on-line content
• Why you are interested in the project
• What you think you could bring to the project
• An indication as to whether you would be interested in being involved in all three phases or just phase 1 and 2 at this stage.
• Details of two references
Deadline for Expression of Interest : 9am Monday 16th July 2018.
Please email this to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If short-listed, you will be invited to a daylong workshop / interview with the project Lead Artists, Extraordinary Bodies on Wednesday 25th July 2018 in Leicester.
If your application is successful, you will be invited to attend a week long residential at Attenborough Arts Centre in Leicester from Monday 10 September to Friday 14 September. This will include Project Launch events at Attenborough Arts Centre, R&D Theatre in Northampton and Nottingham Playhouse on 10 September.
All venues will be wheelchair accessible, BSL interpreters will be provided along with any other access support as required.
Terms and Conditions
The fee for phase 1 and 2 as described above is: £2,550 inc. VAT for approx. 17 days activity.
This is an exciting opportunity which offers professional development. The opportunity is offered as a contract and you will be paid on a freelance basis, you will be responsible for your own tax and national insurance. The fee will be paid in three instalments over the duration of the project and payments are released upon completion of work.
We are looking to commission a total of 10 individual artists or artist companies to work on this ground-breaking programme. Your programme of activity with the groups will be developed in consultation with the partners who will support you through the process. We are open to your suggestions about how you might approach the work.
If you would like this information in another format, please contact Caroline Frankland at email@example.com or 0116 261 6834
*Splash! Consortium is Attenborough Arts Centre, the Canal and River Trust (East Midlands), Curve Theatre, the British Journal of Learning Disabilities, Deda Derby, Lincoln Drill Hall, Graeae Theatre Co, NEO Learning, Nottingham Playhouse, Royal & Derngate Theatre and the University of Derby. The Consortium is co-ordinated by The Mighty Creatives. Splash! Is funded by a Strategic Regional Touring Grant from Arts Council England.