Massed Choir Performance Opportunity for School Years 4, 5 & 6
Posted: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 16:28
Leicester-Shire Schools Music Service are delighted to offer schools an opportunity to participate in a massed choir evening performance at the De Montfort Hall on Tuesday 2nd December 2014 at 7:00pm. The concert will support the Lord Mayor of Leicester's chosen charities, which this year are: Leicester Sea Cadets, Prostate Cancer UK and Silver Star Diabetes.
Massed Choir opportunities are part of the Leicester-Shire Vocal-Ease programme (Phase 3). For more information on this programme (including Phase 1 and 2) please contact either Sarah Barton or Gillian Ramshaw at LSMS
The massed choir will be performing an abridged version of Cinderella and Rockerfella by Mark and Helen Johnson and will sing a selection of songs. The performance will be for approximately 20 minutes.
The De Montfort Hall massed choir concerts are very popular and there is usually a high demand for choir places. We know that schools have other commitments at this festive time of year and so we ask that interested schools give very careful consideration to all the commitments listed below and ensure that they are able to meet all the criteria, before applying:
The system of allocation of places is explained below. Please note that applications must be received by Tuesday 14th October 2014.
Participation in the concert will involve certain commitments from schools which are outlined below.
Schools Commitment:Schools must be able to:
- Be able to provide one class sized choir group (it may be possible to accommodate larger groups depending on the number of schools applying – see application form)
- Be able to timetable 3 x 1 hour rehearsals in your school
- Be able to attend 1 x Massed rehearsal at either a host school or other venue tbc on FRIDAY 28th NOVEMBER – Time tbc.
- Be able to attend 1 x Massed rehearsal on the morning of the concert at the De Montfort Hall.
- Return to the Hall for the evening performance by 6.30pm
- Be able to pay a Participation Fee: £152.52 (includes words and a CD)
(If schools wish to purchase their own copy of the whole vocal score, the website address is: http://www.outoftheark.co.uk)
- Be able to attend a planning meeting on Tuesday 28 October 4.30 – 5.30pm*
- Be able to pay their own transport costs to and from massed rehearsals and performance: (potentially 4 journeys)
- Schools will also need to purchase T. Shirts for their choir group at an estimated cost of £1.70 each
- Will be able to ensure adequate staffing for the massed rehearsals and concert
LSMS will provide:
- Planning and preparation for the Phase 3 Vocal-ease programme to include:
- 3 x 1 hour rehearsals in your school with a specialist choral teacher
- A specialist choral teacher to lead massed rehearsals and conduct the choir at your concert
- Provide help and support with Music and administration queries
- Allocate approximately 20 minute performance time in the concert
- Lead a planning meeting to provide teachers with as much information as possible prior to the rehearsals commencing and agree your in-school rehearsal dates
- Order performance T-Shirts on your behalf
- Invoice the schools for participation fee (including the cost of the music materials) and T.Shirts
ALLOCATION OF PLACES
Not all schools will see this information at the same time and so selecting schools on a first come, first served basis is not a fair means of selection. Places will be allocated as outlined below:
- Schools are asked to return applications by TUESDAY 14 OCTOBER 2014 either by email, (if signed by the Head teacher and scanned), or by Fax or post. NB. Forms must be signed by your headteacher.
- Telephone applications cannot be accepted.
- schools will be notified on Thursday 16 October by email or telephone whether they have been successful or not (Schools MUST provide us with an appropriate school email address on the attached form for this purpose as email is the most likely way that we will contact you.)
- In the event of over subscription, the names of all schools will be put into a hat and drawn out, as this is the fairest way to allocate places.
- Those schools that cannot be offered a place will be put on a reserve list and will be notified if any vacancies arise.
There will be a planning meeting for accepted choir schools as detailed below:
Planning Meeting: Tuesday 28 October 4.30pm – 5.30pm at Abington House, Station Road, Wigston, Leicester LE18 2DP (We are based on the Guthlaxton College Campus).
It is essential that a member of staff from each school attend this meeting to agree area rehearsal dates and other project details. Music will also be given out at this meeting. Please ensure that the person attending the meeting has prior knowledge of other important school commitments. Once the area rehearsal dates are agreed at the meeting, it is very difficult to change them.
All the area rehearsals will start in the week beginning 3rd November and schools will need to be prepared to start rehearsing from this date.
Interested schools should complete the attached application form and return it to Melanie Cahill, no later than TUESDAY 14TH OCTOBER 2014.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Senior Business Support Officer