Please click on a heading below to access further information.
FREE SEND CPD
This year the 2 free half-day CPD sessions that we offering are in the afternoon preceding the network meetings. Feel free to bring your lunch with you.
Wednesday 10th May 2017 1:00pm - 3:30pm.
This session will be a planning event.
Support and training will be given to strengthen SEN teachers in planning music lessons with clear learning outcomes. Teachers should then be more equipped with the knowledge and confidence to support non-specialist teachers back in their school.
Please bring to the planning session Medium term plans for a Unit of work that you would like support with.
Thursday 1st February 2017 1:00pm - 3:30pm
Training topic to be confirmed
These training sessions are free to attend but places are limited so please book.
for more information and to book a place, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
FREE Network meetings for teachers at SEND schools or schools with a Unit
These network meetings are Free of Charge and give teachers the opportunity to
- keep updated about national, regional and local developments in SEN music education
- discuss key issues facing colleagues in SEN settings
- identify and share good practice, ideas and resources in teaching SEN pupils
- network with colleagues who work in SEN settings
Wednesday 10th May 2017 3:45pm – 5:15pm
We are keen to put together a bank of singing warm ups suitable for SEN pupils to enhance the use of the Where the River Flows resource. If you have any singing warm ups that you are willing to share please bring them with you.
Thursday 21st September 2017 3:45pm – 5:15pm
Thursday 1st February 2018 3:45pm – 5:15pm
Thursday 26th April 2018 3:45pm – 5:15pm
These meetings are free to attend but places are limited so please ensure that you book a place - please email lsmsTraining@leics.gov.uk
SEN/D iPad Project
We have come to the end of Phase 1 of the SEN ipad project, led by Ben Sellers - Associate Musician and Trainer at Drake Music and Peter, a Transformance Music facilitator with pupils at Nether Hall Special School. The project has been designed to engage with the highly diverse needs, strengths and musical tastes found in SEN/D schools offering pupils powerful new methods of playing, visualising, organising and manipulating music.
The project provided teachers with a 'toolbox' of ideas and techniques, enabling them to utilise se technologies with confidence and creativity whilst working towards curriculum and individual attainment targets. Each teacher that has worked with Ben has a bank of written teaching ideas to continue the work that Ben has been doing with the pupils.
We have evaluated the project against the expected outcomes and the project has fully met all the following outcomes. However phase 2 has been planned to exceed our initial outcomes and we look forward to delivered the project in West Gate School.
1. To give SEN pupils the opportunity to make music through the use of music tech
2. To allow for a CPD opportunity for LSMS members of staff on teaching iPads with SEN pupils
3. To have a project that could sustainably run out into further SEN settings over the following
The Phase 1 project involved
an observation day and meeting with teaching staff involved in the project.
5 x 1 hour sessions of composition and improvisation session with 8 SLD students.
5 x 6 half hour 'Explore' sessions with two PMLD students at a time.
This will be repeated for Phase 2.
Phase 3 of the project begins with a training day for all teaching staff who work in SEN schools in Leicester-Shire to developing their ability to use a 'toolbox' of technologies. The CPD will see the launch of a short series of videos that demonstrate the use of technology in response to a variety of needs and strengths which will be published online.
This phase continues as we work in other schools in Leicester-Shire in bespoke ways according to the schools needs. There are 3 options that schools have available.
- Teachers can request the 'toolbox' of ideas and techniques and lead the ipad work themselves
- LSMS can send in a SEN Music specialist to deliver a 1 day project in school and support teachers with using the technology in the 'toolkit' (There is a cost to the school)
- Schools can buy in the ipad project, delivered by a SEN Music Specialist (There is a cost to the school)
For more information about this project or information about the training please email email@example.com
- Embedding iPads in the SEN/D classroom - Progress Report (PDF, 1.9 Mb)