Wanted: Conductor for the Leicester-Shire Schools Symphony Orchestra
The Leicester-Shire Music and Cultural Trust are looking for a highly experienced inspirational, dynamic, reliable, motivated and aspirational self-employed Conductor to lead their most senior and highly acclaimed Symphony Orchestra, the LSSO, starting in September 2017.
In 1948 the very first Music Service opened its doors in Leicestershire under the baton of Eric Pinkett, beginning a rich heritage of music education and opportunities for City and County students. We are now looking for the next Eric Pinkett, to continue the high standards that the LSSO have been acclaimed for in order to continue the legacy into the future and to help us celebrate our 70th Birthday next year.
The commitment is from 9.30am-1.00pm over 28 Saturday mornings during term time in Wigston, Leicestershire and have all-day rehearsal's twice termly (dates by negotiation). The group also undertake a termly performance including a pre-concert rehearsal.
We are looking for someone who can develop the group long term and the contract, reviewed annually, will be awarded to the self-employed Conductor that can best demonstrate the following criteria through an expression of interest, conducting observation and interview;
- Proven, significant and successful experience of conducting a Youth Orchestra working at Grade 6 and above aiming for high musical standards through suitable and effective repertoire planning with excellent organisational and forward planning skills and able to meet deadlines.
- Successful experience of instrumental teaching and coaching for young people and a sound understanding of orchestral instrumental techniques.
- Proven experience of being able to relate positively to a wide range of people, including young people, parents/carers, teachers, Music Service staff, Hub partners and other adults to ensure effective musical outcomes.
- Sound knowledge of Health & Safety and Safeguarding policies and legislation.
If you feel you have the necessary skills and can meet the criteria above, please submit an expression of interest of no more than two sides of A4 outlining your experience and how you meet the criteria, please also include your expected annual contract fee and submit to:
Head of Ensembles & Performance – Helen Fisher firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also include the contact details of two referees.
The closing date for applications is Friday 7th April with observations and interviews being held on Saturday May 13th and /or Saturday May 20th.
Please note that before a contract is issued the Conductor must have a valid DBS certificate and individual public liability insurance policy in place.
Pastoral Worker: Leicester-Shire Schools Music Service
To supervise children and young people attending LSMS music activities / rehearsals and concerts, ensuring student health and safety at all times and with due regard to the Service's Safeguarding policies and procedures. To assist and support the Conductor/Group Leader with any emergency situation and to administer basic first aid as and when required.
• Experience of supervising children and young people in a school/youth context
• Knowledge of safe practice when supervising students to ensure their health and safety
• Ability to relate to young people, be proactive and to confidently give clear instructions
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, parents/carers
• Reliable and a good timekeeper
• Ability to follow instructions
• Ability to use initiative
• Ability to work as part of a team
• A flexible approach to working, including out of hours, and an ability and willingness to travel to various locations
• A willingness to undertake Child Protection /Safeguarding Training
• A willingness to undertake First Aid training
This post is the subject of a DBS enhanced check for a regulated activity.
Instrumental Tutors Wanted
The Leicester-Shire Music and Cultural Trust is a new charity set up to support all young people in Leicester and Leicestershire in their music making and learning, and hence everyone working to this end. We are looking to develop a pool of music tutors who would be available to be called upon as and when opportunities for work arise. The work could include covering for absent staff, engagement in specific short and long term partnership projects, coaching of ensembles on an occasional or regular basis, or teaching groups and individuals within targeted projects. Music teachers and instructors within any discipline are encouraged to apply, and we are particularly looking for bassoon, brass and viola specialists.
Contracts for services for successful applicants will be available and the teaching and coaching rate will be around £30 per hour all inclusive.
If you are interested in joining this pool, please send an up to date CV with the name of two referees, together with a statement of no more than 200 words describing what you are able to offer. Candidates who are not already LSMS associate teachers will be interviewed and appointments to the pool will be dependent on the relevant checking processes.
Expressions of interest should be sent to email@example.com and it is intended that interviews will take place over the summer at mutually convenient times.